Today we speak about…
how to make a slip stitch.
In the last research I wrote about this following topic:
- THE CROCHET HOOK
- what kind of yarn is appropriate with the various crochet work: CROCHET HOOK TO USE WITH YARNS
- the crochet hook’s sizes depending on the chooses yarn: CROCHET HOOK SIZES
- how to hold a crochet hook and the yarn, how to make a slip knot and the chain
(Click on the link to read the posts)
Are you ready to crochet?
Now we start to learn how to crochet a SLIP STITCH:
How to crochet a slip stitch:
- Insert the crochet hook under both loops of the second chain from hook;
- Yarn over and draw the yarn through both loops of the stitch and loop on the hook.
- Repeat the first and the second point in each stitches till the end of the row.
The slip stitch is the shortest of all crochet stitches.
Slip stitch are not often used on their own to produce a large piece fabric.
Uses for slip stitches:
The slip stitch is really more a technique than a stitch. Slip stitch is versatile and you can do different things:
- join with a slip stitch to form a ring
- joining the end of a round to the beginning of the round
- you can used as a design element
- in surface crochet
- fabrics crocheted in slip stitch
- slip stitch edgings
- to move yarn across a group of stitches without adding height,
- to stitch the ends of a foundation chain to form a ring.
- finishing the edges of your work
- embellishing crocheted fabric
- forming combination stitches
Look closely a slip stitch.
How to work slip stitch on the foundation chain:
There are two ways to crochet a slip stitch on the foundation chain : on the front or on the back of the chain.
Frontal foundation chain
Back foundation chain
Slip stitches Turning chain :
Working in a round or row you have to make a number of turning chain to start a new row or round.
The number of the TURNING CHAIN of the SLIP STITCH are 1
Translation in other languages:
SLIP STITCH (SL ST):
- Italian: maglia bassissima, maglia passata, punto basso, mezza maglia bassa (mbss)
- German: Kettmasche (Kett-M)
- French: maille coulee (mc)
- Spanish: punto enano (pe)
♥ So we learn how to crochet a SLIP STITCH… and now are you ready to learn the next crochet stitch point? ^_^ ♥
Read me soon ^_^